Men & Boys' Fund
- Our Mission
- Advisory Board
- The Need
- Simple Concept, Big Impact
- Grants in Action
- Events and News
The Men & Boys’ Fund works to make it possible for men and boys to improve the quality of their lives, increase self-sufficiency and make a positive difference in their community. The Fund supports programs and initiatives that benefit men and boys in Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington and Wolcott.
Rich Carmelich, Chair
Dave Rackliffe, Vice Chair
Rob Sanderford, Secretary
Rodger Stotz, Treasurer
Men and boys have specific important needs that are not being met:
- Many boys lack a positive male role model. Research shows that means they are:
- More likely to use and abuse drugs and alcohol
- More prone to anger and violent behavior
- More apt to be affected and influenced by peer pressure
- More likely to perform poorly in school
- Many boys view doing well in school as a negative.
- Men in need are less likely to ask for help.
- “Traditional masculinity” has been called harmful in an August 2018 report from the American Psychological Association
- Single father households are growing. Nationwide, single father households have increased about nine-fold since 1960 now totaling more than 2.6 million.
- Nearly one in four people age 25–34 live at home. Self-sufficiency is a critical issue.
- In 2014 only 40 percent of men age 30 earned more than their fathers did at the same age compared to 92 percent in 1970.
- The age-adjusted suicide rate for males (20.7/100K) is more than three times that for females (5.8/100,000).
- The percentage of men aged 25 to 54 who are not working has more than tripled since the late 1960s to 16 percent.
Sources available upon request.
Simple Concept, Big Impact
The Men & Boys' Fund seeks to:
Encourage: Philanthropic giving among men
Educate: Residents on the unmet needs of local men and boys
Support: Programs and immediate needs of men and boys
Create: Positive male role models and paths to gainful employment and self-sufficiency
In fulfilling immediate short-term needs and supporting long-term programs, the Men & Boys’ Fund seeks to partner with local organizations that are working to improve the lives of boys and men in the areas of education, health and wellness, leadership, life skills, and workforce readiness.
To learn more about the Men & Boys' Fund, visit Main Street Community Foundation's YouTube page to watch short videos on the history of the Fund, the need for the Fund and the hope for the future.
The Men & Boys’ Fund is a community-based endowment established in 2016 at Main Street Community Foundation to improve the lives of men and boys in Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington, and Wolcott. The idea was brought to the Foundation by a group of local residents. The group then began holding several community meetings with local leaders, social service providers and businesses to discuss and identify the unmet needs of local men and boys. In 2017, the Men & Boys’ Fund held two community meetings, raised more than double the fundraising goal, awarded the Fund's first two programmatic grants and fulfilled eight immediate response requests.
Grants in Action
Since 2016, the Men & Boys' Fund has awarded $30,200 in grants to organizations in Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington and Wolcott. In 2021, $7,500 in grants were awarded to 4 organizations:
Boys & Girls Club of Bristol - $1,500
Passport to Manhood, a program that reinforces character, leadership and positive behavior in boys ages 8-17
City of Bristol Youth and Community Services - $2,000
Skills to Pay the Bills – Men’s Edition, a life skills program for high school aged young men
Plainville Adult and Continuing Education - $2,000
Boot Camp for New Dads program, a community-based workshop that supports the transition to fatherhood
The Children’s Law Center - $2,000
Legal representation of male children in family court from the communities of Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington and Wolcott
In addition, since 2016, the Men & Boys' Fund has fulfilled nearly two dozen immediate response requests with small amounts that made big differences:
- After a family crisis, a teenager received groceries and clothes
- A single dad whose job was eliminated received rent help
- A promising athlete from a financially challenged family gained a sports opportunity
- Without a home for 10+ years, a man received the funds to qualify for housing
- A young homeless man received and then gave the gift of music
- An outstanding student was rewarded with funds to attend a national leadership conference
- Students took another step toward independence with a donated stove to learn to cook on
- Homeless men received free haircuts and other personal care services
- A teenage boy paid for his driver’s permit so he could drive to his job
- A U.S. military veteran received rent assistance
- After a financial hardship, a family received rental assistance
- A high school graduate was able to buy clothes for his job interviews
- A student gained enough funds to attend an “invention convention”
- A single dad and his daughter received help to pay their utility deposit
Events and News
Fall 2022 - Dine to Donate! Dine at Bell City Diner November 7-10, bring in the flyer, and 10% of the proceeds will benefit the Men & Boys' Fund! Click here for more information and to get the flyer.
October 1, 2022 - A $5,000 challenge grant was announced to further build the Men & Boys' Fund's endowment - and the goal was achieved! Read more here.
April 27, 2022 - MSCF's Men & Boys' Fund to celebrate the fifth anniversary at June event. Read more here.
November 8, 2021 - MSCF announces the 2021 grant distributions from the Men & Boys' Fund! Read more here.
June 2021 - Men & Boys' Fund hosts an event to bring fathers and families together. Read more here.
November 24, 2020 - Productions for Change awards the Men & Boys' Fund a $1,000 grant to create a fundraising video. Read more here.
November 2020 - THANKS TO YOU. The Men & Boys' Fund wants to thank you for your generosity over the past four years and ask you to consider extending your support. Watch the short video here.
October 20, 2020 - The Men & Boys' Fund announced its 2020 grant distributions! Read more here.
5th Year Anniversary Celebration
The Men & Boys' Fund celebrated its 5th anniversary with a breakfast event on June 9, 2022 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol. It was a morning of motivation and inspiration in celebration of the first five years and as we aim to build an even greater future to ensure the Fund can continue to address unmet needs of local men and boys. Local author, TV host and community leader Eric Clemons addressed how boys can achieve success and share his personal story, while Vannessa L. Dorantes, LMSW, Commissioner, CT Department of Children and Families provided an overview of the specific needs and challenges men and boys in our state face.
Proceeds from the event support grants to programs assisting men and boys in Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, Plymouth, Southington and Wolcott.
Thank you to all who attended and supported the event!
A Big Thank You to Our 5th Year Anniversary Celebration Sponsors!
Barnes Group Foundation
D'Amato Construction Company, Inc.
Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
Tom & Melanie Barnes Family Fund at Main Street Community Foundation
Thomaston Savings Bank
Hawk's Landing Country Club
O & G Industries, Inc.
Tom and Marie O'Brien
Prudence Crandall Center
Janice and Rob Sanderford
Sharon and Rodger Stotz
Torrington Savings Bank
Michael and Jeanine Audette
Kimberly and Richard Carmelich
City of Bristol/Bristol All Heart
Mary Ellen Hobson
Micari Financial Group, LLC
Mark and Kim Moriarty
Dave and Doreen Rackliffe
Susan and Ronald Sadecki
The Ultimate Companies, Inc.
□ Call 860.583.6363 to arrange a 10-minute phone conversation with a Men & Boys’ Fund Advisory Board member to learn more
□ Be added to our email and/or mailing list
□ Attend a Men & Boys’ Fund event
□ Schedule a Men & Boys’ Fund representative to speak to your local organization or group
□ Volunteer to serve on one of the Fund’s committees: Distribution, Community Engagement, Asset Development and Event Planning
□ Visit our Facebook page